Hiring Now: A part-time Graphic Designer & Print Project Manager
We’re looking for a strong Graphic Designer with experience in print production and interest in making things. This position will work directly with customers who need assistance with print projects, varying from a simple business card print order, to full on design and production of a wedding package. Creativity, organization, a hands-on attitude and a love of making customers happy is important. You’ll be managing projects from start to finish independently once trained, but we also all work as a team and share duties when it’s the best and most efficient solution.
***Under normal circumstances, we expect the position to be able to fill 20-24 hours of work each week once training is complete. We’ve had to remain flexible and modify our staff schedules throughout the COVID-19 outbreak which could affect our operations for the remainder of the year. We are in need of an immediate hire, but will have to adjust schedules accordingly for training and hours may vary so flexibility will be important in the beginning until we have a more steady schedule to offer. Additionally, this has potential to grow into a full time position.
Requirements – Gotta check these boxes please!
- High school graduate or GED equivalent; some college preferred
- 2+ years experience in customer service, retail or production environment
- 2+ years experience in graphic design position, or equivalent experience (freelance, self employed)
- Must be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite in Mac OSX environments
- Must have a good eye for design, as well as be fully capable of executing graphic design projects
- Must be proficient in GSuite apps (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets)
- Extreme attention to detail
- Excellent customer service & communication skills
- Must be very organized
Qualifications – If these resonate with you… that’s perfect!
- Quick to learn: Job will require training on all equipment and workflow process
- Ability to juggle several tasks and prioritize them to meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Ability to problem-solve and think outside the box for the best, most reasonable and efficient solutions for customers
- Solid organization skills, with desire and knack to create and implement organizational systems that could improve workflow/production
- Self motivated and can work with a sense of urgency while maintaining accuracy.
- Must be able to translate a customer’s design needs into a final product, and guide customers along the way as needed.
- Must be coordinated and able to handle physical products with care
- Superior ability to problem solve and address issues effectively when problems arise
- Ability to memorize and identify specifications on paper/product sizes, weight & quality (good with numbers, memory, visual and tactile feeling of physical goods, once taught)
- Possess some basic knowledge and use of hand tools (utility knives, screwdrivers, hammers)
- Pleasant and positive attitude.
- Team player, committed, always willing to help, you want to make things better, you care.
- Most of the work will be at a desk, but candidate should also be able to stand for long periods of time, and stoop, bend, twist, kneel, walk, climb/descend stairs and lift 10-20 pounds regularly
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close & distance vision, ability to distinguish color variations, peripheral and depth perception.
- Speaking with customers over the phone, in person and via email (*currently we are not allowing customers inside the building, so everything is curbside or via phone/email)
- Taking detailed information about print and design order requests
- Quoting and invoicing jobs in billing software
- Providing basic and custom pricing to customers or passing along info to managers to quote if needed
- Setting expectations and deadlines with customers on jobs
- Participate in morning workload meetings with the team (1-3 times a week) *Currently this is only once a week.
- Creative thinking, brainstorming, and problem-solving digital or physical jobs
- Designing & setting up jobs to print for various stationery and other print-related materials in Adobe Creative Cloud Programs
- Prepping files to print for other print methods besides digital printing (foil, letterpress, offset)
- Executing print jobs on different types of printers and working to troubleshoot them as needed
- Production finishing tasks on electric and manual machinery including: cutting, hand-trimming, scoring, folding, padding, coil and wire binding, laminating, neatly packaging jobs, etc.
- Loading paper in the printer as needed for specific jobs
- Some heavy lifting, such as cases of paper
- Preparing and Packaging jobs for pickup, shipping, or delivery
We are open Monday – Friday, 8am to 5pm. We expect this position to be able to work 20-24 per week to start, but flexible, and schedule to be determined with candidate and other team member schedules. We are closed on weekends and all major holidays. Position has great potential to transition into full-time as we continue to grow.
Starting pay will be $14/hr, negotiable based on experience. Training will be for 4 months and then followed by an evaluation to discuss performance, pay increase, and satisfaction from the candidate and the team.
About The Done Dept. & Rotolite of St. Louis
The Done Dept. is the retail print-shop arm of a larger family-owned machine sales company, Rotolite of St. Louis. Rotolite has been around since 1959 and the original owner’s grandson, Greg Haupt, started The Done Dept. in 2007. In 2012, Cat McMillan joined Greg to manage the shop and they have since grown it to a team of 8 people. We currently print for hundreds of local companies, non-profits, individuals, and artists. We love making our customers’ dreams come true, whether it’s a wedding invitation job, a custom painting print as a gift, or a business card to promote their brand-new startup. We strive to maintain a one-on-one relationship with our customers and listen to their needs to find the best solution for them.