Hiring Now: Part-Time Finishing, Packaging & Quality Control Expert
The Done Department is seeking a candidate for the new role of Finishing, Packaging & Quality Control Expert. We are looking for a reliable and detail oriented individual to work part-time in the production finishing department of our print shop. This is a new position in an often demanding and fast-paced production environment. You will maintain the highest level of detail and quality for our orders. This will be your pride and joy. The moment a customer picks up their custom print job can be an incredibly satisfying experience. Especially when we know it’s 100% correct – That’s where you come in.
***Under normal circumstances, we expect the position to be able to fill 20 hours of work each week once training is complete. We’ve had to remain flexible and modify our staff schedules throughout the COVID-19 outbreak which could affect our operations for the remainder of the year. We are in need of an immediate hire, but will have to adjust schedules accordingly for training and hours may be varied based on production needs each week, so flexibility will be important in the beginning until we have a more steady schedule to offer. Please take that into consideration when applying.
Requirements – Gotta check these boxes please!
- Superior attention to detail is required
- Mechanical knowledge and aptitude – you will be operating heavy machinery
- At least 2 years experience in labor, production, manufacturing environment (print shop experience would be ideal) or something equivalent (please explain)
- High School diploma, or GED
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects – managing tasks and meeting deadlines and avoiding undue stress
- Must demonstrate willingness to take direction
- Comfortable with repetitive tasks and working independently in a fast-paced environment
- Mathematical skills such as measurement calculation, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Reliable, punctual, trustworthy, with a great work ethic
- Quick to learn with a good memory
Qualifications – If these resonate with you… that’s perfect!
- Solid organization skills, with desire and knack to create and implement organizational systems that could improve workflow/production
- Self motivated and can work with a sense of urgency while maintaining accuracy.
- Superior ability to problem solve; address issues effectively/research & learn when problems arise and take initiative to understand root cause, and render solution
- Ability to visually understand percentages, as well as ruler measurements in inches and feet when looking at/producing printed products, and to understand how to make adjustments as needed
- Ability to memorize and identify specifications on paper/product sizes, weight & quality (good with numbers, memory, visual and tactile feeling of physical goods, once taught)
- Pleasant and positive attitude. You will not necessarily work directly with customers, but you will be around customers regularly. (*we are currently not allowing customers in the building)
- Team player, always willing to help, you want to make things better, you care
- Possess some basic knowledge and use of hand tools (utility knives, screwdrivers, hammers)
- Basic computer skills
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, and stoop, bend, twist, kneel, walk, climb/descend stairs and lift 10-20 pounds regularly
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close & distance vision, ability to distinguish color variations, peripheral and depth perception.
Extra Qualities that would be beneficial
- Knowledge and interest in the digital design/print process a plus
- Some college, or degree in related field (design/manufacturing/business)
- Customer service experience, though not required for this position.
- Great at hand lettering/writing
- You’re a creative and a maker of something with appreciation of the arts… illustration, knitting, photography, music, etc.
- You will report directly to the manager, but will take direction and tasks from all print project managers as needed.
- Participate in morning workload meetings with the team (1-3 times a week) *Currently this is only once a week.
- You will become the primary finishing person and will learn to safely operate, master, and ensure proper maintenance of all finishing equipment including:
- Guillotine paper cutters
- Electric & Manual Scorer/Perforator
- Machine Folder
- Shrink Wrapper (and heat gun)
- Booklet Finisher
- Heat press
- Coil puncher (and binding)
- Wire puncher (and wire binding)
- Manual Saddle Stitcher
- Small and large hand trimmer
- Corner Rounder
- Paper drill
- Transfer tape gun
Other finishing tasks including but not limited to:
Edge painting (yes, paint! With a brush!), Hand folding/scoring, Collating, Stapling, Assembling invitations, Assembling envelope liners, Load/unload custom shape-cutting machine, Mounting small and large prints/signs, Grommet application, Weeding and Masking Vinyl
- Assist in the receipt, storage, inventory, of finishing, binding, and packaging materials.
- Assist with print job loading/unloading of paper and printed materials from printers.
- Quality Control: Check finished orders for accuracy before customer pickup: (check quantity, print quality, etc)
- Gather, organize and neatly package print orders for pickup
- Assist with coordinating delivery and/or shipping completed orders when needed
- Maintaining a tidy, organized, and safe production and finishing work space
- Maintain organized and inviting front of house displays/customer facing area. Regularly cleaning tabletops, windows/doors, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting machines, emptying trash and recycle bins.
- Keep packaging station clean and stocked with bags, boxes, packaging materials
- Seek to improve the finishing process through recommending equipment enhancement, process improvements and procedure changes.
- During slow periods seek additional work and assist other team members.
We will work this out accordingly at first, but once we are able to have a more regular operating schedule, it might be something like this:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 8-5 with 1 hour for lunch (or approx 20-24 hours per week).
We are closed on the weekends and on all major holidays.
Hours may be more or less depending on workload at first, but the more you can master, the better!
Four months of training at $12.50/hr. After training, evaluate for increased pay based on performance.
About The Done Dept. & Rotolite of St. Louis
The Done Dept. is the retail print-shop arm of a larger family-owned machine sales company, Rotolite of St. Louis. Rotolite has been around since 1959 and the original owner’s grandson, Greg Haupt, started The Done Dept. in 2007. In 2012, Cat McMillan joined Greg to manage the shop and they have since grown it to a team of 8 people. We currently print for hundreds of local companies, non-profits, individuals, and artists. We love making our customers’ dreams come true, whether it’s a wedding invitation job, a custom painting print as a gift, or a business card to promote their brand-new startup. We strive to maintain a one-on-one relationship with our customers and listen to their needs to find the best solution for them.